Viewing James A. Brown (1853-1929).
In 1886, after a three year apprenticeship, James Brown, a native New Yorker, was admitted to the bar in Otter Tail County. He formed a partnership with William L. Parsons, another recent arrival in Fergus Falls. Parsons & Brown soon became one of the most prominent law firms in the western part of the state. It was dissolved in 1913 when Parsons accepted an appointment to the district court bench. Brown practiced alone until 1920, when he hired a young associate, Roger L. Dell. They practiced as Brown & Dell until shortly before Brown's death on May 10, 1929. The following day the Fergus Falls Daily Journal carried Brown's obituary.