Viewing Courthouses and Jails of McLeod County. (1917)
Although McLeod County was formed on March 1, 1856, it did not have a courthouse for over two decades. On January 7, 1876, the county commissioners invited the citizens of Glencoe, the county seat, to donate land and money for the erection of a county courthouse and jail. They responded and the buildings were completed late that year. The jail, however, quickly became antiquated, and it was sold for $25.50 in March 1882.