Viewing Brown County Jails and Court Houses (1916).
Brown County was formed on February 20, 1855. Its first jail was a log building erected in 1859 in New Ulm, the county seat. It was replaced in 1865 by a brick building, and in 1872, a combined jail and court house was built. In 1889 the present court house was built and in 1915, work began on a separate jail and sheriff's home.