Viewing History of the Steele County Court House and Jail (1910).
Steele County was formed February 20, 1855. Thirty-seven years later, on March 14, 1892, construction of the county's first courthouse in Owatonna was completed. A county jail was built in the 1860s and lasted almost four decades. In 1903, a new jail, "representing the latest ideas in that class of construction," was built.