Viewing Douglas County Court House and Jail (1916).
Douglas County was formed March 8, 1858. Its first court house, completed in 1876, was replaced by an entirely new structure in 1895. The first county jail was erected in 1868; it was replaced in 1880 by a new building that was so unhealthy and unsafe that the state board of corrections and charities condemned it in 1899. In 1900, a new jail that had "every modern convenience" was built.