Viewing "Melville & Mason: The First Law Firm in Fergus Falls." (1916)
Bert Melville and John W. Mason formed the first law firm in Fergus Falls on July 5, 1871. Their partnership agreement stated that it would be in existence for one year. In fact, it lasted only a few weeks. Interestingly, at a time when lawyers routinely engaged in business activities in addition to their law practice, the Melville & Mason partnership agreement affirmed that the two partners would "engage strictly in the practice of law." This item appeared in a history of Otter Tail County edited by John Mason and published in 1916.